Wednesday 15 February 2012

34 Week / Growth Scan

Had my 34 week growth scan last week (6th Feb) and yet again the little boy chose to hide and not perform!

I say little, but he has really grown over the last four weeks that I feel him a lot more, and most movements are actually quite painful (especially the feet under my ribcage!).

I had been told a few days before by the midwife that he is now 3/5's engaged, so he is head down- SCARY!



The scanning lady said she couldnt see his face, because he was back to back with me, and his head was slightly to the side, so I could only glimpse his ear. That boy is determined to make me wait until the birth to get any indication of what he looks like! That is 3 out of 4 scans where I have had no clear pic of him, gutted.

Him being back to back with me was the worst thing to come out of that scan, but my mum was there and reassured me that he still has some time to turn. The midwife had given me ideas of how to encourage this, which includes being on all fours and sitting leaning forward in the evenings. I must admit I have not done this much, because it is just not comfortable! At times it hurts my back, and for the last couple of weeks my sciatica has been a lot better so I don't want to make that worse.

They measured him on screen, and estimated he was just over 5 and a half pounds already. From 34 weeks onwards, the baby puts on about half a pound a week, meaning he could be 8 and a half to 9 pounds at birth! That was my second scare of the appointment!

Now when I tell people I might be having a 9 pounder, the first reaction is a shocked face and the word "ouch" or "good luck pushing that out". HELPFUL OR WHAT?!

I'm just hoping that the myth about the bigger the baby, the easier they are to come out is true, but for now I will try to focus on my last day of work today and being in complete denial that labour is not too far away!
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment